HAF operates the new Lockheed Martin Hybrid Airship (LMH).The LMH is a breakthrough concept, that introduces at least four major innovations vs traditional airships: no metallic structure, filled with not flammable helium, aircushions vs mast fastening and air wing shape. More: the LMH requires little or no ground infrastructures.
Lockheed Martin has invested over $200 million in 20 years to develop this completely new Hybrid Airship. The result is a very safe, highly maneuverable, cost efficient and environmentally friendly airship
Hybrid Technology combines the best characteristics of fixed and rotors wings. 80% of the lift comes from buoyancy and 20% from aerodynamics and direct lift.
- Higher maneuverability
- Lower energy consumption
- Safer flights
Innovative Air Cushion Landing System (ACLS)
- Take-off and landing on almost all unimproved flat surfaces, including water, snow, ice, sand, grass
- No need for costly ground infrastructures
- Easy loading and unloading directly on the ground
- Easy access to cargo bay
Non rigid helium filled envelope.
- Reduced airship weight and improved performances
- High safety level, no explosion risk as helium is a non-flammable gas
- Huge airlift capability and tremendous efficiency: payload account for 50% of total mass, compared to 20-30% for helicopters and airplane
Computerized assisted flight system derived from the fighter jets.
- Enhancement of stability and lift management during the flights
- Ability to flight day and night and in low visibility conditions
- Electronic flight instruments panel
- Inertial and satellite navigation systems